Thursday, April 16, 2009

Apology to my CPA

Sorry, Tim, that I didn't fax back my permission slip for you to file my taxes electronically until the day they were due, but your package was hidden under a stack of bills on my table and I kept putting off looking at it because I knew what I'd find when I opened the envelope and that's a return stating that I owed the government seven hundred fifty seven dollars and the state one hundred twenty nine dollars and the government again nineteen dollars for a total of nine hundred and five dollars, Tim, plus there's going to be your bill coming down the pike for two hundred and sixty five dollars to do all the math and take what deductions there were and file all the paperwork and I don't begrudge you a penny of it because back when I had to do it myself it would take me days to sort out all the receipts and to update my Quicken accounts (why doesn't it do this by itself?) and then I would put all the numbers in and they never came out the same way twice and always I was sure that I was paying too much in taxes and my husband thought so, too. (It completely ruined the month of March for me.) Now I'm sure that I am paying too much again but at least it's not due to my own stupidity, it's due more to the government being greedy, maybe. But I don't blame you. I'll never blame you because you are a numbers man, unlike me, and you understand taxes, unlike me, and so it's good that I know someone like you to do my taxes, because the alternative would be me doing them and that would just be too awful.

No comments: